The SMSA Library. Image credit: Graham Jepson
Great Value – Join Today!
Ordinary Membership — $30
Concession Membership — $25
Reader’s Ticket — $25 (Students only)
Memberships are annual and are due for renewal by 31 December each year.
If you love books and reading, enjoy hearing talks and lectures or taking part in social activities and special events with other members — Sydney Mechanics’ School of Arts (SMSA) is the place for you!
When you join SMSA, you are joining an organisation that has been serving the community in Sydney since 1833. Our Library is the longest-running lending library in Australia, with a large and unique fiction collection including resources in the Tom Keneally Centre.
We value lifelong learning, offering a diverse program of talks, screenings and special events covering all sorts of interesting topics.
A peaceful space in the heart of the CBD in which to wander, read, learn or connect with friends, and with a wide range of online resources, SMSA welcomes new members from Sydney and beyond.
Discover the benefits of membership
SMSA Members’ Library — Level 2
The heart of the SMSA, our Library on level 2 is the longest-running lending library in Australia, operating since 1833. Our collection is unique, with our members calling it the ‘best fiction library in Sydney’. You’ll find books on our shelves that you won’t find in other libraries — and our Mystery and Crime section is of particular pride. Our eBooks, Audiobooks and eMagazines are also very popular.
- A peaceful place in the heart of the CBD in which to wander, read or connect with friends.
- Borrow up to ten (10) items including two (2) new books, in any combination of books or magazines.
- Loan period of 8 weeks for books and 2 weeks for new books and magazines.
- 24/7 access to eBooks and Audiobooks and loans of up to 21 days. Read on your computer, smartphone, eReader or tablet.
- Download eMagazines using your computer, smartphone or tablet.
- Beamafilm allows members to stream films and documentaries free to any internet-connected device – PC, smartphone, tablet or even your TV using ChromeCast or Apple TV.
- Access a range of Sydney, national and international newspapers.
- Computers, internet, printing facilities and comfortable seating areas are available.
- Enjoy eating your lunch or having a cuppa at Cuthbert’s, our Member’s café space.
The Tom Keneally Centre — Level 3
SMSA is proud to be the home of the Tom Keneally Centre. Affectionately known as the TKC, it is Thomas Keneally’s living legacy to Australia, holding books Tom has read and/or used to research his various books. Devoted to Australian literature and history, the TKC regularly hosts literary events such as readings and author talks, and is Tom’s office in the city.
- Visit the Tom Keneally Centre on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 10:30am – 2:30pm
- Borrow books from the TKC for up to 4 weeks.
- Explore the ‘red dot collection’ that has hand-written notes by Tom Keneally explaining its significance to him and why it has a place in his library.
Public Talks & Events
The Sydney Mechanics’ School of Arts runs a diverse program of talks, screenings and special events, which are open to both members and the public. These are often free or at a reduced cost for members.
- Be the first to secure tickets to upcoming special events with SMSA Member pre-sales, ahead of general public access.
- Enjoy talks covering an eclectic mix of history, science, current affairs, art, literature, travel, and more.
- Attend workshops, classes and musical events.
- Join us to watch and discuss classic films from Hollywood and across the world.
- Enrich your life across mind, body and spirit with talks that cover health, wellbeing, lifestyle and other issues that matter to you.
Members’ Activities & Events
In addition to our public talks and events, we also run member-only events throughout the year.
- Participate in members’ groups such as Mah Jong, Poetry at SMSAand the Mystery and Crime Reading Group.
- Come along to member-only morning teas and events held during the year.
- Celebrate at our annual Members’ Christmas Party.
At Other Organisations
We offer members a range of benefits at partner organisations upon presentation of your membership card.
- Reciprocal borrowing rightsat the WEA Sydney Library, i.e. you can borrow books from their library upon presenting your SMSA membership card.
- Discounts on courses at WEA Sydney.
- Other discounts and special offers that may become available from time to time with our partner organisations.
SMSA Venue Hire
Our venue hire floor boasts a large Theatre as well as flexible and affordable Meeting Rooms that can be configured according to hirer’s needs. The Tom Keneally Centre is also available for hire. In line with the School’s values, we offer discounted rates to qualifying not-for-profit and volunteer organisations, including community groups.
Simply fill out the online membership form, attach a scan or image of a bill or ID showing your address, and use your credit card to pay online.
We’ll send you a confirmation email and then our staff will be in contact within two business days to provide your member number and instructions for browsing and borrowing from our Library collection, as well as an overview of the services we offer.
You are welcome to visit the SMSA Library before joining. You can also join as a member in person at the Library during opening hours.
The SMSA Board has decided that everyone who held a current SMSA membership at 31 August 2021 will receive a complimentary 2022 SMSA Membership, as a gesture of goodwill.
There is no need to renew your membership for the 2022 calendar year if you were a 2021 Member, this will be done automatically for you.
For more information please contact our Library staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.