Event Organiser: Sydney PC User Group (SPCUG)
Please note that there is an attendance fee of $5 at all meetings.
For visitors & non-members, first-time visits are free, but for later visits there is a $10 charge.
This month the group will look at “responsive design” which is the process that enables websites to be viewed on devices that have different screen sizes such as desktop computers, tablets, mobile phones and even smart TVs.
The group will examine what makes a website responsive and that is mainly concerned with scale. At least four factors are involved:
1. the design of a scalable layout;
2. the use of a scalable font;
3. the use of scalable images; and
4. the arrangement of items to fit on the screen that is being viewed.
The main factors that need to be considered to achieve the desired design appear to be:
1. developing a fluid page structure by using percentages to make fonts scalable using “emphemeral” units or em’s;
2. convincing the browser that the image is scalable; and
3. using media queries to find out what screen size is being used and then moving the elements of the page to fit the screen.
The group will also look at how to convert an existing fixed website to a responsive one.
The Web Design Special Interest Group will meet on the 1st floor of the Sydney Mechanics’ School of Arts on 16 May at 1PM.
Visitors are always welcome.