NOTICE OF A SPECIAL GENERAL MEETING OF MEMBERS
To be held at 12 Midday on Tuesday 29 October, 2019 in the Tom Keneally Centre, Level 3 at the School.
The matter requiring the consideration of members concerns only changes to the By-laws relating primarily to the election of office bearers. A Schedule detailing the proposed changes is being circulated to all members and will be published on the members’ website.
The By-laws prescribes how the organisation is to function. The changes proposed by the Board concern three issues and are to be considered and voted on separately at the meeting:
- correcting inconsistencies with the Act of Incorporation,
- extending the maximum time for which a Director can hold the office of President
- providing for the President to be elected by the Directors rather than the wider membership,
In accordance with the Act of Incorporation 1886, Section 9, members approve the changes to the By-laws contained in the published schedule dated 15 October 2019. The separate recommendations are:
- The changes set out in Part1 – Editorial of the Schedule, concerning relocation of certain information, alteration to a heading, changes to the numbering sequence and clarification of the process for filling casual vacancies on the Board.
- The changes set out in Part 2 – Presidential Term of the Schedule, concerning the extension of the period of time a Director may hold the office of President from three years to a maximum of six years.
- The changes set out in Part 3 – Method of Electing the President, providing for the President to be elected by the Directors rather than being popularly elected by members.
Under By-law 24.1 at least fifteen qualified members must be present to vote on the matter. No other business will be conducted. If further information is required please contact the undersigned.